Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The Key to Great Wealth


Did that title catch your attention? I promise I am not offering secrets here to secure your financial future. Instead, I want to encourage you that the wealth that God offers is so much greater and more fulfilling than anything that we can "gather" on this earth.


The apostle Paul, in his encouragment to his spiritual son, Timothy, offers the following: "But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it." (1 Timothy 6:6-7 NIV). Think about it, as a baby, we bring nothing with us into this world besides an umbilical cord--and that soon gets cut. And then, at your funeral, you don't take anything with you. Unfortunately, it is between these two points that we get focused on the stuff of life. At times, many of us get consumed with our circumstances and our stuff. The bible teaches us that we should learn to be content.


So, what is contentment? Contentment means my happiness in not dependent upon circumstances or the accumulation of stuff. Let me ask you this--do you ever find yourself getting caught up in "when" thinking? "When I graduate . . . when I get a new job . . . when I have a child . . . when the kids are out of the house . . . when I retire . . . then I'll be happy." As you are going through life and have met some (or all) of these particular "milestones", did they generate long-term happiness? I would guess they probably did not.


To be happy, I encourage you to allow God to teach you to be content. You know that God has provided for and will continue to provide for all of your needs. Just enjoy that state He has you in--and know that He has you there for His purpose. Enjoy Him.


Stay Strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment