Friday, November 13, 2009

How are You Doing with Humbleness?


But He gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says: "God opposes
the proud, but gives grace to the humble."
(James 4:6 NIV).


Your answer to the challenge question in the title may indicate a great deal about your attitude towards humbleness. Throughout Scripture, God continually encourages us to "be humble", and to "have a humble heart". And for those who are not humble, He promises to bring humility into their lives--at times, with some painful reminders. God loves a humble heart. But let's just cut to the chase--you may try to achieve humbleness on your own, but YOU cannot do it.


If you have placed your trust in the saving blood of Christ, you have His indwelling spirit. Jesus Christ lives inside of you. And what does He say of Himself--"I am gentle and humble in heart." So, guess what--you possess those same characteristics. All that Christ is lives inside of you. You and He are one. So, why don't I always allow those characteristics to show in my behavior?


Because they are completely contrary to the way I was before trusting Christ. By my old nature, I wanted things my way; I wanted to show people that I was in control; and I wanted people to pay attention to me. But now, my old nature is gone--it has been crucified. It is no longer I that live, but Christ that lives inside of me. (Galatians 2:20). Those old ways of doing things no longer have control over me. Now, it is Christ's life and all that He is that has taken over.


So, when I exhibit those old habits--it is completely contrary to who (and whose) I now am. When I am proud and self-focused, I am living a lie. When I am focused on drawing attention to myself, I am believing something that is just not true.


God does give His grace to those that are humble. But, His opposition falls in the way of those who lift up themselves. Personally, I prefer His grace. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment