Saturday, December 12, 2009

How Much is Enough



"For it is by grace that you have been saved, through faith--and this
not from yourselves, it is the gift of God--not by works, so that no one can
boast."
(Ephesians 2:8-9 NIV).


Recently, I was reading the label on a container of orange juice. On it, the bottler noted that one 8 ounce glass contained enough Vitamin C to meet the "recommended daily allowance" of this particular vitamin. (I felt like I was catching a cold, so I felt I should drink some orange juice.) So, I thought, "[w]ow, that is easy, just one glass at breakfast and that is all I need all day."

As Christians, sometimes, we wish the things we perceive we "have to do" were that easy. Questions such as:


  • How long should I read my bible each day?

  • How often should I go to church?

  • How many people should I witness to each week?

The list could go on and on. Don't get me wrong--these are good things. But, Christ's death on the cross freed us from the bondage of "have to's" and "shoulds". Our relationship with Him is not contingent upon what we do; instead, it is His gift to us called grace.

To me, that is freeing. It frees me to spend time in His word, to go to His church, and to witness to His people--not because I have to, but because I want to. There is a huge difference. Think about it--wouldn't you rather spend time with somebody because that person wants to spend time with you, not because they have to. God is no different. He wants our hearts engaged with His. But, He does not force it. It is an act of our free will through faith in Him.

So, what "should" you do? Let your loving God guide you throughout your day and allow your love for Him to place in your heart and mind a desire to walk with Him. I think you will be truly amazed at what that may look like. Enjoy your time with Him.


Father, I do desire to not focus on what I perceive are the "have
to's" and "shoulds" of having a moment by moment relationship with you.
Instead, Father, please put in me a desire to spend time with you
throughout my day because I want to. I want to know you
more. I want just spend time worshipping you, not just on
Sunday, but throughout each day. Father, thank you for living your life
through mine. Amen!


Stay Strong.

Dave


No comments:

Post a Comment