Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Power Under Control


As I open God's word and allow the truth to sink deep into my heart and mind, I pray that I am a different person--a person who continually desires to grow closer in my personal relationship with the Creator of the universe. And I pray that He changes and refreshes you also with His amazing truth. I encourage you to take the time every day to spend quiet time with God.


Today, I am taking a look at a portion of Jesus' wonderful sermon called the Sermon on the Mount. In this message, among many other things, He notes "[b]lessed are the meek for they shall inherit the earth." (Matthew 5:5 NIV). What is your concept of the word meek? On the surface, when I think about this word, images of a cowering mouse in the corner come to my mind. I compare meekness with cowardice. But after digging into the true meaning here, my thoughts are far, far from accurate.


The Greek translation of the word is "power under control." Many times, in the culture of the time, it was used to describe a war stallion that is under the control of its owner. Did you hear that--a war stallion! A war stallion out of control kills and destroys. But one under control is an amazing tool of its owner to serve the owner's purpose. It denotes a servant's humble attitude, which is a focus on God-first, rather than me-first.


A focus on God-first characterizes people in His kingdom. They are not in this life for themselves. They are not running around seeking their own good, but are instead looking for the opportunity to further His kingdom. This focus casts aside selfishness, and strives for selflessness.


So, how does this look in your life? Meekness is not lying down like a doormat to be walked upon. It is knowing whose you are and being comfortable with the fact that it is not about you, but about Him. What you do is rest in Him, and commit your way to Him. And allow Him to do the rest. Sound to simple? Remember, we don't have to make our walk with Him so complicated. Allow Him to live through you--experience His amazing strength.


Stay Strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment