Wednesday, April 15, 2009

A Taste of God's Love


The apostle Paul, in 1 Corinthians 13, talks about love. "Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no records of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres." (1 Corinthians 13:4-7 NIV). This is the scripture of choice at many weddings, including mine--which was nearly 16 years ago. What an awesome day! But I still remember thinking, "how can I do this, how can I love like these verses describe?"


Guess what--I can't. And neither can you. In our own strength, it is impossible to love like this. And that is exactly where God wants us--realizing that we cannot do it. So, rather than relying upon our own strength to love like this, we allow Him to do it through us. I cannot love my wife like this unless I am allowing God to love Wendy through me. Likewise, I cannot love my kids this way, unless I have stepped aside and allow God to use me as a tool of His love for them.


I thank God daily that I do not have to function in my own strength. Because I know what I am capable of in my own strength--NOTHING. I know apart from Him I can do nothing. (John 15:5(b)NIV). But I also know, that "I can do everything through Him who gives me strength." (Philppians 4:13 NIV).


If you have truly placed your faith and trust in Jesus Christ, you have within you the Holy Spirit. In fact, scripture describes our bodies as the "temple of the Holy Spirit". (1 Corinthians 6: 19 NIV). The Holy Spirit guides us, strengthens us, teaches us, equips us, and empowers us not to live for ourselves, but to live our lives for Him and for His glory.


The love Paul describes above is the type of love that God has for us and is the kind of love that He desires we show to each other. Since God desires we show such love, don't you think that He has prepared and equipped us to love that way.


Stay Strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment